As a global community, we are facing a truly unprecedented and fast changing environment related to the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The far reaching impact on daily life continues to be felt by students in CAHME Accredited programs, faculty, universities and healthcare professionals across the globe. Your response as educators and practitioners is admirable, and reflects the belief that we all have a responsibility to each other.
The CAHME Executive Committee, acting under emergency powers as the Board, took the following actions on Friday, March 13, 2020:
- Virtual Site Visits. A virtual site visit policy was approved. Programs to be visited in the Spring and Fall will be contacted. The policy will sunset in one year, when it will be evaluated. We are rolling out education to programs with upcoming site visits and to our volunteer site visitors.
- Online Education. Universities moved their residential programs to online to allow students to complete their courses this semester. CAHME reviewed guidelines from the US Department of Education and from the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. In consultation with our legal counsel, we developed a “Fast Track” form. This enables residential programs to add an online modality to their accreditation status and serve the requirement of notifying CAHME of a program change. This Fast Track form and directions has been sent to residential programs; about 20% of programs have sent it back on day 1. CAHME is waiving modality initiation fees and the FY 2020 annual fee.
- Boot Camps. While we cancelled the “live” boot camp at ACHE Congress and stopped planning for the boot camp in Salt Lake City during AUPHA, we recognize that programs still need education to meet accreditation standards. With our chief faculty adviser, Kevin Broom, PhD (University of Pittsburgh), we created an on-line boot camp for those registered for the ACHE Boot Camp; it will also be open to others. The boot camp will run for six one-hour sessions, from April 10 through May 1, 2020. The online boot camp includes access to materials post session over a set period of time. More information will be coming soon, including how to sign up.
- Awards. We issued refunds for all attendees who purchased tickets to the CAHME Awards Ceremony.
- Competency Assessment Best Practices. CAHME authored a white paper and prepared a presentation featuring best practices on competency assessment. While initially offered as a breakfast session during ACHE, a webinar will be scheduled. The session will highlight the best practices of several CAHME Accredited programs. We thank Peregrine Global Services for their support. The corresponding white paper is now available.
- Governance. The April 2-3, 2020 Accreditation Council and May 14-15, 2020 Board Meeting will be held virtually.
We are confident that these actions will provide for the safety of our site visitors, volunteers, employees, and program teams, as well as to continue to meet our mission of advancing the quality of healthcare management education.
Anthony Stanowski, DHA, FACHE
President & CEO