Program Changes

Program Changes

This guide is designed to help you navigate the steps required for program changes.  The purpose of this process is to ensure that any changes maintain the quality and integrity of the program in accordance with accreditation standards. Any significant change that could have a material impact on the status of an accredited program requires immediate notification by the program to CAHME.  

Below is a list of the types of program changes and how the program will need to report.  

headphones image

Change in Leadership
(ex. program director, department chair)

Submission Type: Email

CAHME staff will update internal records to reflect this change. Review by Substantive Change Committee is not necessary.

Track or Degree 

  • Addition of new tracks or degrees
  • Change to existing track or degree*

Submission Type: Substantive Change Form

Review by the Substantive Change Committee is necessary. Program will be notified of the decision.

*Examples of changes to current track or degree
  • major curriculum change
  • degree
  • competency model
  • primary method of delivery (in-person, online, etc)
  • decrease in required numbers of credits

Other Changes
(ex. merger, withdrawal, etc.)

Submission Type: Formal Letter via Email

Review by the Substantive Change Committee is necessary. Additional information or clarification may be requested. Program will be notified of the decision.

Examples of Other Changes
The “other” program changes include:

  • loss of key faculty that threatens the program’s ability to offer the accredited degree offerings,
  • merger with another program or institution,
  • movement to another school or department in the university,
  • withdrawal of or loss of school or institutional accreditation,
  • withdrawal of program resources by the university that meaningfully threatens sustainability of the program in its current form,
  • other substantive changes that could impact the ability for the program to meet its mission
Consult the CAHME Fee Schedule for Substantive Change fees.


For More Information:

Eric Brichto
VP of Accreditation
301-298-1820 ext. 4